Thursday, May 22, 2008

Refrigerator Muffin Mix

Recipe contributed by Multi-Tasking Mommy

In our family, we LOVE muffins. Well, the bunny more than my hubby and myself, but still--we love them!

We also need more fiber in our diet, so what better muffin to make than a bran muffin, right?!

Well, the problem with muffins is that although we love them, I find that they go stale too quickly and then they don't all get eaten up. I know we can freeze them, but there is something about FRESH homemade muffins that is just so yummy!

My Mom has been making this Bran Muffin recipe for years and what makes it great is that the batter keeps and lasts in the fridge for up to 6-8 weeks. Yes, you read that right! So, you make the batter, bake up as many muffins as you like and leave the rest of the batter in the fridge. You can make as few or as many muffins as you like and enjoy them fresh for as long as the batter lasts you--which for us definitely isn't 6-8 weeks, let me tell you!

Refrigerator Bran Muffin Mix
5 1/2 cups flour
2 1/2 cups sugar
3 cups natural wheat bran
2 cups All Bran cereal
3 tbsp baking soda
1 qt buttermilk
1 1/2 cup oil
4 eggs
1/2 cup molasses
2 cups raisins

Add liquid to dry ingredients and add raisins.
Bake 20 minutes at 375 degrees.
Mix keeps 6-8 weeks in a sealed container (best to use glass).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a cool idea instead of stuffing your face mindlessly worrying about the state of staleness.

Cass. Just Curious said...

What an awesome idea - I'm going to have to mix these up tonight for tomorrow morning. I think I might use cranberry instead of raisins as I'm not a big cooked raisin eater.