Monday, May 5, 2008

Creamy Cucumber Salad

Posted by Multi-Tasking Mommy

Last time, I posted my marinade recipe for flank steak on the bbq.

I mentioned that one of the sides that often compliments that meal is a summer creamy cucumber salad. It's yet another comfort food that my Mom makes and now I do too. The ironic thing is that I am the only one in my immediate family that enjoys this salad, so I end up eating the whole thing!

There are many variations on this salad and I don't have a specific recipe either, there is a little bit of guess work taste testing involved!

Salad Ingredients:

english cucumber thinly sliced

Other ingredients you can add to the salad if you wish:
chopped chives (fresh from the summer garden is the best!)
thinly sliced sweet onions
grated carrot
chopped tomato
...the list goes on...use your imagination!

Dressing:
light mayo
light sour cream
1-2 tbsp white vinegar (depends how bitter you want it)
dash of sugar
salt and pepper to taste

Notice I haven't put many measurements (I don't know them), you can just add, stir and taste until you feel it's right. YOu can't really go wrong, and the result is guaranteed to be delish!

This salad also accompanies bbq'd hamburgers and hotdogs well too.

2 comments:

genkileslie said...

I have a different cucumber salad recipe that you may like too:

Cut a cucumber or two into thin slices, and mix with about a teaspoon of salt.
After 10 - 15 minutes, the cucumber slices should be limp. Squeeze as much water from the cucumber slices as you can.
Chop finely 1 or 2 cloves of garlic and mix with a pinch of salt.
Add about 250cc to 500cc of plain yogurt
add chopped garlic
add chopped fresh parsley
add pepper and salt to taste

This salad can be eaten right away but usually tastes better after sitting in the fridge overnight.

Odat said...

Yum! I love cucumber salads of any kind!! I'm stealing both of these recipes...;-)
Peace

Just dropping by thru Michael C.