Thursday, May 8, 2008

Asian Cole Slaw

My mother in law went to a party or a lunch or a something one time and she brought home this Asian Cole Slaw from her friend Tracy. (Who I will get to meet at the upcoming baby shower - and you better believe that I will let this woman touch the belly because this slaw is SO good.) So I tweaked it slightly from the original recipe but it's pretty much intact.

Asian Cole Slaw

What you need:
1 bag shredded Cole Slaw Mix
1 package Chinese noodles (you can use Ramien Noodles)
1/2 c Toasted Almond pieces (you don't want the slivers you want something with a good crunch)
1 bunch green onions chopped
1/2 cup Water
1/2 cup Rice Wine Vinegar (seasoned)
1/4 cup Vegetable Oil (I use Cannola)
3 Tablespoons Agave Syrup (or you can use 5 Tablespoons of White Sugar - I try to stay away from the white sugar though)

What you do:

  1. Put the noodles in a bowl and crunch up (you're not cooking them) so make sure there aren't big chunks of noodles
    Asian Slaw - Step One
  2. Layer the coleslaw, green onions and almonds on top.
    Asian Slaw - Step Two
  3. Pour the liquids on top of that and cover with saran wrap.
    Asian Slaw - Step Four
  4. Give it a little shake (make sure your saran wrap is secure - or better yet, use a bowl with a lid, something I never seem to remember). You want the noodles to be mostly at the bottom because they need to take in the most liquid so don't go to crazy.
    Asian Slaw - Step One and a half
  5. Store overnight in the fridge to marinate.
    Asian Slaw - Step Five
  6. Stir in the morning - it will have shrunken down in the bowl quite a bit. I find that I sometimes need to add another splash of vinegar and water depending on the noodle I use.
    Cole Slaw Finished
It's REALLY yummy, fresh and it's so fantastic really cold. I've taken this to a couple of picnics and everyone loves it - it's also great on pulled pork (which I think I'll post sometime soon) and throw in some grilled chicken and it's a meal.

5 comments:

AndreAnna said...

Can you come make this for me, because now I want it with that Shrimp Pineapple thing from Pioneer Woman and can't get to the store due to The Great Snotfest.

:(

mermaidgirl13 said...

Yummy! And now I'll wait patiently for the pulled pork recipe. :)

Anonymous said...

Looks lovely. I adore a good slaw.

Cate said...

Sounds perfect for warm weather ... if it ever comes back!

Michelle Smiles said...

I make something almost exactly like this only I add chicken and a few other things and use sunflower seeds (just my preference). My husband can't get enough of this sweet-savory flavor combo. It is in my archives somewhere.