Thursday, April 24, 2008

Taking the Mac Magic out of the Box

If you read my blog you know my love for Macaroni and Cheese is pure and deep. I admit to eating boxes of Velveeta Shells n Cheese. Having said this I thought a good Sunday evening dinner would be Macaroni and Cheese only to discover that I was out of the Magic Boxed wonder. What's a girl to do? Well I decided that with no less then 9 kinds of cheese in our house I would be able to whip up some Mac and Cheese...now I loved Baked mac but I just wasn't in that kind of patient mood. So I decided stove top was the only way to go.

Mac Magic out of the box Stove Top Mac n' Cheese
This is enough for 4 side servings

What you need:
1 Egg
Milk (I use skim)
Dab of Dijon Mustard (you don't want to use too much because it can really overwhelm the flavour)
Paprika
Salt & Pepper
Dash of Hot Sauce (or to taste if you like things nice and spicy)
3 Tablespoons Butter Melted (I used Light I Can't Believe it's Not Butter)
1 slice of Cheddar (really you could use any cheese)
1 slice of Munster
1/2 cup of Colby or Jack
1/2 box of Pasta - I love Elbow Mac's
Mac Ingredients

What you do:

  1. Start your Mac cooking
  2. Mix the egg and all the seasonings and melted butter in a pyrex container - add milk so that it's 1 cup of liquid.
    Mac Mixture - Step 1
  3. Drain your Mac and put back on heat with your liquid mixture over Medium low heat. Stir like crazy until it starts to bubble.
  4. Add in your cheese. You'll think it won't thicken up and then 20 seconds later it's thick and delicious. Now I did get a little Jessica Seinfeld on mine and threw in 1/2 cup of butternut squash puree for some added nutrients but I did that AFTER I tasted it as is and it was just as tasty.
Mac on a plate

2 comments:

AndreAnna said...

Holy crap. I am making this!
As soon as I have my kitchen back that is. Until then, taco bell here I come!

beach mama said...

mmmmmmm, taco bell....

oops, I mean, that Mac & Cheese looks great! When we are out of the big box I always have some back up easy mac...but I still cringe with all the sodium and crap in it. I would much rather make it more natural. Thanks!