Friday, April 25, 2008

How Kristin makes the pancakes

So Kristin over at Kristins Four Kids was kind enough to share how it is she makes her fantastic pancakes. Maybe I'm the only one that can't seem to make a decent pancake - they are never right, not cooked, over cooked, burned on one side. So I begged her for her help and she was kind enough to share. I have plans for big breakfast tomorrow morning. Do you have tips and tricks to add to pancakes? Favorite toppings? Are you a REAL maple syrup person or a real-enough maple tasting syrup person? On to the good stuff:

This is NOT my (Kristin's) recipe (many thanks to Better Homes and Gardens NEW Cook Book~the red and white checked one). I will however, add some notes at the end.

PANCAKES

What you need:
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
¼ teaspoon salt
1 beaten egg
1 cup milk
2 tablespoons cooking oil

What you do:
a) In a medium mixing bowl stir together the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Make a well in the center of the dry mixture; set aside.
b) In another medium mixing bowl combine the egg, milk and cooking oil. Add the egg mixture all at once to the dry mixture. Stir JUST till moistened (batter SHOULD BE lumpy)
c) Heat a griddle or heavy skillet and lightly grease (I use either butter or Pam, then wipe it off. Otherwise the first batch takes FOREVER to cook)
d) Cook over medium heat (don’t do high or they’ll burn) until bubbly, then flip. Serve and enjoy.

NOTES: This recipe doubles easily. For fluffier pancakes, try the following~replace the milk with WHOLE milk (with 15 month old twins in the house, we have it). Then, when you’ve mixed the wet and dry ingredients together, let the mixture sit a few minutes before you start cooking. I also use my gravy ladle to ladle out the pancake batter; gives me a good size without too much mess. In the alternative, I use my ¼ cup measuring cup. All 4 of my kids love the pancakes. I love being a hero on a Sunday morning!

2 comments:

AndreAnna said...

I think I may attempt this tomorrow when I have my picky 5-year-old nephew over.

Kristin.... said...

thanks for posting! I hope you like it. :)